PLACES

Wyreena History

Reflections of Wyreena — celebrating 30 years as a community arts centre

Reflections of Wyreena is a compilation of stories contributed by the community, many of whom have been associated with Wyreena since it became a Community Arts Centre in 1977. Some have stories to tell about the nuns who ran the Business College in the 50s and 60s. Contributions from the original owners and their families have been invaluable.

Reflections of Wyreena was funded by The Maroondah Tourism and Heritage Advisory Board and Maroondah City Council.

You can download the Reflections of Wyreena brochure below:

 Reflections of Wyreena (PDF, 5.8 Mb)

Wyreena's chronological history

1884
The original Crown lot of Hector Turner, the son of Croydon’s European founder, William Turner, is established.

1922
The Catomore family - Beryl and Charles Catomore and their three children - buy the land, currently a cherry orchard. They clear it and erect their home in 1924, naming it “Hayward”, probably after an ancestral home in England. The land comprises four acres.

Hull Road, Worral Street, Beryl Street and Alwyn Street border the property (as they do today). Two acres are a cultivated garden (including a tennis court) and the house cow grazes the other two.

The architects of the house, Hudson & Wardrop, are also the architects for the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne erected in the previous year.

1929
Following the marriage of the Catomores’ daughter to a Croydon Solicitor, a second 2-storey home is built in the grounds and named “Silver Birches”.

1953
Property sold to the local Catholic parish and renamed Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. The front house is used as a residence for the nuns, while Silver Birches operates as a Commercial College.

1977
Saved from developers by local residents, the property is purchased for $360,000 by the City of Croydon and the Victorian State Government for use as a Community Arts Centre.

1978
Wyreena officially opens as an Arts Centre. Progressive restoration and improvement since that time has been fostered under the guidance of a volunteer committee of management together with the City of Croydon and now the City of Maroondah.

1998
The 20th anniversary of Wyreena Community Arts Centre and the opening of The Conservatory Café and the Adventure Playground.

2000
Silver Birches is extensively renovated inside and out.

2002
Opening of the new Pottery Studios.

2006
Renovation of the entrance and toilets at Silver Birches. This was a joint project with Scope Victoria to provide a more accessible space. An extension was also made to the Conservatory Café kitchen.

2007
Renovation of the Wyreena office and entrance.

2008
Wyreena celebrates 30 years as a Community Arts Centre.